Real Guys Have Acne Too tips to prevent them
More than 60 million adults in the US are diagnosed with acne, over 50% of adult women and 25% of adult men having this skin disease. The average age of an individual with acne problem is now, 26.5, while just 10 years ago it was 20.5.
So what other myths prevent men from having clear skin?
Acne is only for teens. If you toughen up and wait until those uncomfortable years are gone- acne problem will go away too. Wrong!
The reality is that most acne can be traced back to fluctuations in hormone levels. A common misunderstanding is that men have testosterone and women estrogen and progesterone; the truth is that both – males and females have a balance of all three hormones. The primary cause of the formation of acne is a fluctuation in androgens (male’s hormones) and in particular testosterone, DHEAS (dihyroepiandrosterone sulfate) and DHT (dehydrotestosterone). Elevation in these hormones can lead to over secretion by the sebaceous glands and the onset of acne formation.
The most common period of life when the adrenal glands start to produce these hormones is at the onset of puberty. This helps explain why oily skin and acne are so prevalent among teenagers. Naturally, since boys have more “male” hormones, teen acne tends to be more severe in males. If untreated, teen acne may last way after teenage years and many men may experience a fluctuation of hormones into their thirties or even forties. Untreated acne will leave them not only with skin scars but also…. psychological scars. After all men are “disadvantaged” , as they don’t routinely use makeup to cover up imperfections in their skin.
There is nothing men can do about adult acne. Wrong!
There are both acne treatments and health & skin care tips that can improve your skin (GSD: should probably be capped for consistency with the last section)
Health and skin care tips for men
- Do not use performance enhancing anabolic steroids, which belong to the androgen class of hormones, as you will experience severe and persistent acne on your face and torso
- If you are an exercise fanatic and have acne, choose less stressful workouts that are associated with less marked hormonal fluctuations
- Sweat and dirt does not cause acne but can exacerbate it by facilitating inflammation that manifests itself as those pesky zits. Keep your skin clean but avoid harsh and drying soaps. Do not rub your skin as a broken skin invites bacteria. Use a mild and non-comedogenic cleanser and befriend oil-free moisturizers
- Food does not cause acne- it may worsen it. Try to limit those hamburgers and beer. Greasy, spicy and fried food, as well as too much sugar (as beer has) may worsen acne. Food rich in Omega -3, greens and veggies are friendly to your skin
TREAT YOUR ACNE NATURALLY
- Remember that the ONLY way to treat acne is from inside. To really treat acne you must stop overproduction of sebum. This PREVENTS new acne from forming
- Choose natural ingredients (preferably herbal) over chemically based products so you can balance your body and reprogram your sebaceous gland naturally.
- Do your research: antibiotics and retinoids have number of adverse effects, as do salicylic acid and even peroxide.
Believe: Men Deserve Clear Skin Too
By Dr. Agnes P. Olszewski
CEO of Herborium Group, Inc.